As many of you know, the ZX2 has been off the road for some time.
This post is the account of why itâ€™s off the road and whatâ€™s going on with it
I’ll start out by showing the Car and engine bay before the project began.
The reason the project grew into something more than just an engine rebuild is the fact that Crys and I purchased a garage and the owners threw in a house lol.
Pic of the workspace from the previous owner
Here is the engine that I picked up for the engine build
After tearing it down…
Before some smart A** says something about parts being laid out on a 57 chev… my buddy who owns the car put them there… it’s our next project a full fram off restoration.
Me hard at work
Block put back together after slight overbore and balancing.
Crower rods and JE pistons 9:1 CR
I decided that the old turbo setup needed to be changed… I just didn’t like the way it looked and had too many issues with the manifold cracking.
So it’s out with the old and in with the new
Pic of the old manifold
Pics of the new manifold and downpipe
The other reason that I decided to make this a full project doing the engine, exterior and interior is that I picked up a donor car from a member.
Several of the parts have come from the donor car, are new parts, or are parts purchased from TZX2 members.
Seats and interior are coming from the donor car
Misc shots of parts laying around the garage now
Valve cover coated by Skuce
New rotors I just got in the mail (since the rear disk swap)
The baby I waited a year for
The modified mustang TB being used with the FRIM
New front bumper with WW lip (not the color I’m going with) and I picked up the sides and rear in may so I now have a full WW kit for the car
Some of the other goodies
I couldn’t pass up the deal on this so I bought it too
not pictured is a set of Mazdaracer’s lower tie bars.
a quick snapshot of the front end with the suspension almost done (minus new rotors)
Engine bay… something is missing… lol
actually took the pic to show the manual rack installed.
also I have ES all the way around on this car
I know there isn’t any chronological order to this thread.
There will be from now on… I just had to redo it all so I kinda threw it all together. But here we go.
Here is a pic of the suspension together with the SS brake lines, painted calipers and the coil overs on… Now I have to take some of it apart again to install the lower tie bar for the front.
pic of the rear disk conversion with the painted calipers… yeah it’ll look a ton better with those new rotors.
Pic of the manual rack next to the power steering rack
I coated the whole underside of the vehicle with truck bed liner (here is the rear cross member)
Look ma, no Ford symbol!!!
Random pic that has nothing to do with the build… well she is the woman that is putting up with this project so I think she deserves some recognition.
P.S. she hates this pic and would kill me if she knew I posted it. lol
That’s it for now…
I left out a bunch of the pictures from the actual build… I figured I wouldn’t bore you all with pics of me tearing down the motor… or installing rings on the pistons.
Sorry about the poor quality of the images,
I ripped apart 2 transmissions so that I could keep the guts of the one and put the LSD in the other.
I didn’t take any pics beyond here cause it’s pretty straight forward and I didn’t need any reference pictures for myself.
far from finished. The last pic is my tranny with the MSP LSD installed and put together.
I had a fight with the rear tranny mount… but I finally got it in.
I tried something with the rad supports… IDK if I like it or if I’m going to use it though…
Just an idea I have… this is my junk dash btw
almost finished messing around with the TB…
In order to get the mustang TB to work with the ZX2 acelerator cable and bracket I had to make a few modifications to the TB.
First I cut the front tab off the ZX2 bracket and positioned it in the same area on the mustang one.
Next I mixed up some 2 part Epoxy Putty and used it to attach the cut tab to the mustang TB. After it hardened for a day I used some JB weld to make sure it got in all the nooks and crannies.
I then took a standard nut and attached it to the Mustang TB so that I could screw in the upper portion of the accelerator cable bracket to the TB and used a ton of Epoxy Putty to hold that on…
Let it set for a couple days and here is the result. It still needs to be sanded smooth and painted to match the rest of the TB.
You will also notice that the blue plastic piece that holds the accel cable is from a ZX2. I had to do that due to the different orientation of the ZX2 TB.
Oh, and before you ask… I’ve tested the strength of the bond!!! I think I’ll bend the bracket before it ever breaks.
I’ve done some more work lately but just haven’t taken pictures of it as of yet… I will soon though.
This car will not be running A-Arms or axles from a ZX2