Were is the govener

1st im not sure were the govener is and i would like to know how to remove it or alter it

First what type of transmission do you have?

ATX or MTX?

2nd, your poll is more questions than options. It’s pretty easy to disable from what I understand. No you don’t have to buy a computer, but it’s neater, easier and better to do so.

3rd, and really the quesiton that should follow mirror’s…what other things have you done to your car? Car manufatcuters put limiters there for a reason. Most important being that your factory tires aren’t made to go over a certain speed. And I guarantee you that you don’t wanna lose a tire at those speeds. Unless you have upgraded tires (I think Z rated are best) then don’t touch your governer. Have you touched your suspension? I know I wouldn’t want to be driving 100+MPH on the squishy stock springs/struts. You might want to upgrade those before you touch the governer too. Also you might, but don’t really need, to upgrade the brakes. The factory will slow you down, but obviously upgraded brakes will stop you safer and faster.

If you don’t have the right tires, don’t do it. If you’re on stock suspension, I would also not recommend doing it. If you have stock brakes…at least get performance pads.

To anyone else that can answer his question…if he answers that he has stock tires, please do not tell him. We’re here to help, but I don’t want to see someone get hurt because they’re not equipped to do what they’re doing.

Oh yeah, welcome to the board and I hope you enjoy your stay. There’s lots of information here. Going fast is great, but only when done properly and with the right equipment. Oh yeah, there’s no real good reason to go faster than the governer on public roads either.

• Darron

I nearly killed myself with my 02 when I first got it by taking a sharp turn at near 60. It had a stock sway bar and the back end fishtailed out. This was on the freeway mind you, so had it been crowded I coulda hurt someone else. With my 03 I added a 22mm sway bar and this time using a parking lot, made the same turn, no probelms. Suspension modding is a MUST.

O SORRY BOUT THAT GUYS BUT I HAVE A MANUAL TRAN. AND MY ZX2 IS A 1999

Please, next time NO CAPs. Thanks.

This is how you disable the speed govener. I give it to you now because I figure you will find it on your own if you search the web enough.

Please heed Foos warning. If you haven’t upgraded your tires, you could blow them at high speeds. Also at high speeds, the car may become unresponsive because the body may start to float due to the air getting under the car. If you haven’t modified the Suspension you the car again will be come unresponsive at highspeeds.

We are all here to learn but above all be safe.

AGAIN IM SORRY FOR PUTTING INPROPER INFO BUT I HAVE UPGRADED MY TIRES AND PUT ON SOME 17’ FUSION RIMS WITH TIRES THAT ARE TRACK TESTED AT 240+ MPH (SCEPTOR IS THE BRAND) AND IVE PUT SOME SUSPENSION CLAMPS ON THE SPRINGS TO STIFFEN THE RIDE. IT IS DOING OK FOR NOW UNTIL I CAN AFFORD THE PROPER SPRINGS, SWAY BARS AND BRAKES.

O AND THANKS FOR THE WELCOME TO THE FORUM

What are suspension clamps? I have a bad feeling I’m opening a can of worms on that question.

It sounds like it’d be the same effect of cutting the springs. Which isn’t recommended, but as long as it won’t be long 'till you get the proper parts, I guess it would work, but I still wouldn’t trust it at sub-governer speeds, let alone super-governer.

• Darron

YEA ITS KINDA LIKE CUTTIN THE SPRINGS BUT WITH OUT LOOSING THE QUALITY OF THE SPRINGS. CUZ WEN SOME ONE CUTS THERE SRINGS THEY LOOSE THE QUALITY AND THE COMPRESION BUT THE CLAMPS JUST LOWER YOUR CAR AND MAKE THE RIDE A BIT MORE STIFF. THE GOOD THING ABOUT IT IS THAT THEY CAN BE REMOVED WENEVER U WANT AND U WONT RUIN THE FACTORY STRUTS.

Am I correct in thinking it is a cheap way to lower your car? Essentially it keeps the spring semi-compressed at all times, correct?

I would expect more wear and tear on the the factory struts are you are under constant load with the spring clamps on. Our struts aren’t bullet proof.

dude, is your caps key stuck?

I agree, doesn’t sound too safe. I don’t think I would ever do that even though I would love to have my car lowered. Plus I am anal so if I do anything it has to be done the proper way.

Maybe he just like to type with caps?

-Miranda

That or he just wants to make sure we heard him. :wink:

BTW we mean no disrespect, its just odd.

my bad guys and gals but my hand writing is in all caps so dats wat i do, thanx for sticking up for me tigress. i know ya dont mean any disrepect but its koolo :smiley: , i love people that are straight foward so i got madd respect. but i will say THAT FROM TIME TO TIME I MIGHT WRITE IN ALL CAPS BUT WEN I REALIZE IT ILL MAKE SURE TO NOT DO IT

LOL

Am I correct in thinking it is a cheap way to lower your car? Essentially it keeps the spring semi-compressed at all times, correct?
---lol, quoted myself---

My only concern is that if they are semi compressed, then you decrease the travel on those springs. Because spring tension is uniform, the springs can only handle a maximum of “X” load on them. If your clamps have taken applied “250lbs.” You are looking at “X-250= Y (maximum load).”

As for the shocks, the shocks are fine because they can be compressed or semi-compressed and it wouldn’t hurt them. But because there is less distance to travel, the shock might not be fast enough to deal with the springs. Easiest way to tell is have some one video you go over a few bumps and see if your car bounces very quickly. If it does, you will wear those shocks out very quickly if they aren’t already.

Hey, if you have nice roads that’s fine and a nice alternative to purchasing lowering springs.

Not a prob Dramatik. Glad that you don’t think that we are disrespecting you. We here a zx2ms are a pretty tight family and we just don’t want to see anyone get hurt. So just be sure to get those springs taken care properly of as soon as you can. Glad that we can be of assistance. These guys have taught me alot, I hope that you can learn alot too:)

-Miranda

well i have to thank all. but it was succesfull i was able to get to 120 with no problems. but i will say that i am being carefull and i installed it with a switch to allow me to turn it off and on whenever and i have told myself to leave the govener on all the time but i can turn it off at the track.

Good call bud.

• Darron

Agreed

-Miranda