Trying to diagnose this, its PISSING ME OFF! Clutch?

Ok so I got some more detail here is what goes on…

The car is having issues with shifting into gear, does it very badly into 1st and 2nd but it doesn’t slip the clutch once in gear nor does it go out of gear.

The car is making a sound at low rpms as it goes into gear, at around 1000rpms - 1700rpms it makes a rattling sound, best way to describe it would be like rattling bbs in a jar, but only 3 or 4 of them, very light rattling coming from the front end (leftside, bottom, where the CLUTCH IS) and then goes into gear but when you hit the gas it is VERY VERY WEAK, but it doesn’t slip! It feels non-responsive almost but not to the point of dying, justl ike it has 10-20hp MAX and doesn’t want to do much, soon as you hit about 2000-2200rpms it just SNAPS with power like it’s all good again. This started happening (VERY LIGHTLY and not really at ALL) about a year ago which is about a year after I got it. I got it at 64k miles and it’s at about 95k miles.

Now here is the interesting part:

If it’s in neutral it still rattles, but not the same rattling noise (which when engaging into gear sounds like a friction rattling noise) instead it sits in neutral and rattles but only if the clutch is let out (as if you were already in gear but in neutral) the second i push the pedal IN (like if i were shifting) the rattling goes away, which is weird…

Since the car started doing this it has felt like a sudden loss of power, one day it felt like i had my max horsepower like when i bought it, the next, it feels like 100hp max… i feel like i’m driving a damn honda here!

SO any suggestions? Any thoughts? Me and my dad were looking at it and thinking and he is a car nut but isn’t too crazy about frontwheel drive, he has dealt with allwheel drive his whole life but he thinks it’s the throwout bearing.

I had the same problem after I ran my trans out of oil the tried to drive it. IT means that your trnas is shot get a new. At least that is what my trans mechanic told me.

Seems to me you should try changing the throwout bearing, and if that doesn’t fix it then get a new trans. Yeah that means taking it apart twice, but a cheap fix is better than overkill. :slight_smile:

• Darron

P.S. You could get a new clutch too if you haven’t already, 'cause you can use both the bearing and clutch with the new trans.

what about the end that goes to the wheel? (is that the spider gearing or something like that???)