supercharger or turbo?

AMEN to that!

I would go turbo , um "because I just bought a kit "…I’ll let you know how it goes.

I just want to pull up to one unsuspecting BMW , and blow its doors off . Just one…mustang I leave behind me , while he’s smoking his tires …Just one camaro that does a double take because I’m neck and neck with him , hmmmmmmmm (day dreaming )

OH OH! I did that one already… But I think the guy didn’t know how to drive. does that count?

Seeing as to how there pretty much will never be a supercharger for the ZX2 (at least a kit made one), I would say turbo. If you get a properly sized turbo, you will have a very broad powerband, and have a very responsive car.

I dislike turbo cars in the rain… They have traction issues. On the other hand, they are great for all out power. As for the S/C I have something cooking up, I will let you know more when I do… But It might be a good minute so dont hold your breath…

when it comes to S/C for the Z; I’m not…

While I can see that that is true, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be the same with a super. SCs will have a lot more torque at the bottom of the range, where you will be most likely to spin the tires. At least with a turbo you have a slight delay in the power.

There is a hole lot of math that goes along with Supercharger performance, but I would confuse both you and me tryiing to teach you on here. So to keep it simple:

1. I going off of experiances of driving my friends SC Civic in adverse weather vr’s my other friends FWD Turbo DSM. Civic had less traction issues.

2. basically S/C increases power at the rate that you acclerate the car, were turbos is more like a switch.

If you want I can give you more info…

If it’s like a switch, they probably have a turbo that is too big.

You can get any sized turbo you want on a car. It’s not like saying a turbo is going to be on / off power. The Mazdaspeed 6 uses a small turbo, and it makes full boost at 2,000 rpms. So yeah, superchargers probably will be starting to have full boost there. Depends on the size of that too.

There is no definite answer.

true, but when you go with a small turbo, you loose the top end power that everybudy loves turbo’s for.

You dont loose high end power with a small turbo , you get no lag in the begining and full boost between 2300-6000k. The car just needs to be tuned really good .

turbo = switch… so either you’re stock hp, or all out… yeah right.

Um I’d have to say based on MY car and any other turbo vehicle that I’ve ever drove, the ammount of power that the turbo produces depends on how fast you’re trying to accelerate. I can drive up to highway speed and if I don’t floor the gas, I can actually remain in the area of 1psi of boost. That’s not a switch.

I’m not going to debait this with you two… My only question is this. How many 500+ whp vehicals have you build and tuned?

A zx2 would never see 500, let alone 400hp. You would need a higher displacement engine like a 2.3 thats bored , over sized, port and polished with really low compression to force that kinda power . A supercharger can be done , you just need a lot of money and time to make it happen . I would love to see just a 6.5 psi super on a zx2.

one 600hp+ 86 firebird. But that doesn’t count cause it’s NA.

I never said any of the 500+ whp cars that i turnedwrenches on were ZX2’s. As for the 2.0L therory of yours, not true… I have read cases of hondas with 1.8 running 500. Also I would say the firebird counts, I never specifide boosted or not… Me my self, my count is 6, that I was a part of from start to finish, 12 that I was only there for part of the builds.

Yeah you would. If you get a small turbo, it will get spinning quickly, but once it gets to max pressure, the wastegate will have to start opening to vent exhaust. If your wastegate is venting most of the exhaust at 4K, and your engine is wanting to suck more air down, then you are going to lose top end.

This is what happens on the Mazdaspeed 6. They used a small turbo to make it a torque monster, but after 5,500 rpms, power immediately falls away. The small turbine housing will restrict the exhaust flowing through, and will choke the engine up at high rpms.

As far as a Zetec making 400 whp… Kicker is a little over 320 right now, and I don’t see why he wouldn’t be able to go higher. I think it’s the tranny that is holding him back, so don’t say that it can’t happen.

with enough money and and time anything can be done…

was kicker stroked out? or just at 2.0? and what ever happened to that guy i never see him anymore.