Steering wheel.

Wonder why. I mean, shoulnd’t they be SAFER? lol

for racing purposes yes they are safer. street safety they can more harmful in an accident. ie… too much time to take them off if car is on fire.

for racing purposes yes they are safer. street safety they can more harmful in an accident. ie... too much time to take them off if car is on fire.

Funny, lots of race cars have been know to catch fire after an accident. Hmm…Stupid government.

LOL, your right!

Better example on why they are unsafe in a street situation…

1: In the event of a roll over, the roof will crush down, if you have after-market harnesses, they will hold you upright and you will take a beating to your head and possibly kill you… Stock seat belts are made so you fall into certain areas of the car in different events. In a roll over, it is made so you get close to the center of the car…

2: Only way to overcome that is to have a full cage… but then that is unsafe, if you get broadsided, your head will hit off the bar right there if it is not in the correct location and BOOM dead…

I’m putting a cage in my next ZX2 because I plan on being in the 12 second range within a few years… I’m doing it to strengthen up the chassis also so I can take corners even better and do Auto X if I wanted…

HILARIOUS!!! ROFLMAO

• Darron

Sure, in the event of a roll over this may become a dangerous situation but isn’t any roll over? The likelyhood that someone roll their Zx2 on the streets is pretty unlikely. But you are right, it could happen.

Our cars being as small as they are, pretty much anything hiting us could kill us if broadsided. Lots of SUV bumpers point of impact are 1 inch below the top of the door. If you have a lowered vehicle it could be much worse.

In this thread I’m just saying that before you start taking safety equipment out, first put some better equipment in.

You can go back and forth on this all night. According to stetistics you are never going to be safer than stock. I would never put a role cage in a street car. they ruin crumple zones, and as staited earlier they may cause one hell of a headaich. The main reason that the 4 and 5 pionts are not leagal is that they are generally never tested. Testing cost money… wich brings up pricing, and for an off road vehical that rading is not needed. I do beleive there are some that are aproved… but I would not no were to find them.

According to stetistics you are never going to be safer than stock. I would never put a role cage in a street car. They ruin crumple zones, and as staited earlier they may cause one hell of a headaich.

If that were the case then all NASCARs, Pro-Stock cars should have stock safety equipment, including all the air bags.

I believe you need to look up what crumple zones are, because they do not include the cabin. The cabin is the only part that does not crumple and must maintain its shape in an accident. The engine bay and trunk are designed to crumple. If you are hit from the side, there is normally a side bar in the door, but it is only so effective. So roll cage would definitly help in a side impact situation or if the car were flipped.

The main reason that the 4 and 5 pionts are not leagal is that they are generally never tested. Testing cost money... wich brings up pricing, and for an off road vehical that rading is not needed. I do beleive there are some that are aproved... but I would not no were to find them.

Agreed! But I’m sure if you look long enough, you might find someone who has them DOT approved.

I love the discussions on this board.

No, NASCAR uses those nifty neck cushions and helmet straps to keep you from snapping your neck… Also your rite about the side bar would help protect in a side impacted up until the point your head bounced off of the bar. And a correctly designed role cage does effect your crumple zone… Hence the reason people put them in to stiffen up there chassy. Another thing loosing legs and living is considered acceptable loss by safety test standards. that’s why most cars on a off center frontal impacted will cause the dash to crash down on your legs. If a five point harness was safer for the average daily driver they would have put them in long before they made airbags mandatory. But seance you brought up the hole “race car” thing… last time I checked the government doesn’t regulate what a racecar will or will not have in it, the race commission does. So if they decided that they wonted airbags in the nascars by next season the cars will have them.
Now that I am realy thinking about this it would be funny as hell watching a nascar race when they do a little bump draft and an air bad deploys… lol… that would be f@cking great. Thanks for the laugh mirrorguardian that would be one hell of a site one hell of a site.

No, NASCAR uses those nifty neck cushions and helmet straps to keep you from snapping your neck...

Yeah, that thing acts almost like a true neck brace.

Also your rite about the side bar would help protect in a side impacted up until the point your head bounced off of the bar.

There are always downsides. Put some padding on those bars like everyone else and a bump on the noggin won’t hurt as much. But if you were hit with that so much force, that you head hits that bar at 30-50mph, you’d probably be dead anyways. With or without a roll cage, side impact airbags, helmet and Styrofoam all over your body.

And a correctly designed role cage does effect your crumple zone.. Hence the reason people put them in to stiffen up there chassy. Another thing loosing legs and living is considered acceptable loss by safety test standards. that's why most cars on a off center frontal impacted will cause the dash to crash down on your legs.

Perhaps you are thinking of one type of roll cage and I am thinking of another. Some are full cages, some are just a simple design for just in case the car flips.

If a five point harness was safer for the average daily driver they would have put them in long before they made airbags mandatory.

This statement is flawed. They never put in 5 pt harnesses because they aren’t safer than the 3 pt. harness. A 4pt. harness is standard equipment in a Ferrari Enzo and McLaren F1. Perhaps one day they will goto the much safer 3 pt. harness.

Wouldn’t you agree that it would be safer if you wore a helmet while driving? If you don’t, why do you? Probably because you don’t want to look or feel funny. Probably it’s uncomfortable and inconvenient. But it is safer.

Seat belts only work when the user puts them on. Airbags only need the vehicle to be on. More than likely 5 pt. harnesses were not put in because of it being cumbersome and inconvenient to put on and take off all the time.

But seance you brought up the hole "race car" thing... last time I checked the government doesn't regulate what a racecar will or will not have in it, the race commission does. So if they decided that they wonted airbags in the nascars by next season the cars will have them.

The government may not regulate what racecars have in them, but if alot of people started dying, I’m sure the government would step in. You have heard of OSHA?

That would be funny to watch racers having their airbag deploy on them while racing.

^I believe we have gone off topic for long enough, so this was my final reply. HondaStomper, if you wish to reply to what I have said, feel free. I believe we owe it to Darth help him figure out if it is legal and how to install.

Well, I must agree we have battered this topic from all angles on poor Darth’s tab. So I do agree we should leave him to what he feels is best for him.

HondaStomper

PS: I was referring to a “Full Roll Cage” not a partial.

LOL, like I said I love the discussion, I’ve learned a lot. The legality question is still up though.

I’m still searching and asking around on this question…I’ll find the actual wording eventually…I am not a fan of airbags…2 accidents, first car didn’t have one totaled the car and was fine (bruised, but never touched the steering wheel; seatbelts work)…2nd one airbag never deployed 3k+ of damage <new hood, quarter panel, bumper…etc…etc…> again, never touched the steering wheel or winshield…(seatbelts still work great)…

I’m looking into seat-belt re-enforcement. Such as improved harness material and stronger joints.

I once seen this seat belt thing that I thought was brilliant. It’s a clasp thingy that you put on the stock three point belt and it locks it down. So like when you autocross, you have zero seat belt play. I have also seen it on modded Jeeps. So if they do a slow roll over they actually still have a seat belt. If you could find this elusive creation let me know I would be most grateful.

HondaStomper

You mean this?

http://www.cg-lock.com/

FDBY4LF linked this awhile ago, its now part of my equation.

I SO HATE YOU!!! I have been looking for that site for like a year and a half. How did you ever find it??? Thanks for posting that link I will be ordering them shortly…

Wow, hate to see you when you are mad. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: LOL

Seriously, like I said FSDY4LF posted that awhile ago, I can’t take credit for it.