Door panel painting

Hey everyone, how hard is it to remove the map holders/ speaker covers and the arm “pad” on the armrest on the driver and passenger doors? Also the surrounding around the guages. The part that covers everything and connects to the dash? And the passenger side vent cover under the airbag??? Just wondering, want to paint interior. Just got done w/ calipers (Ford Red high temp. Enamel).

Well…if you just wanted to take them out to paint/color them…I would recomend NOT doing it. We thought about it when I was trying to install my sound system back in '03 and it doesn’t look it’ll come off clean enough to be able to reinstall because of the way they’re connected. But if you can figure it out…lemme know! :slight_smile:

• Darron

anybody else? I seen so many Zs with these parts painted. Would I be better off just tapeing off the pieces in the door panels? I want to reupholster the arm pads w/ yellow vinyl. I started re-doing my interior w/ black vinyl with yellow inserts. Its tight so far. I was almost done w/ the back seat and my moms sewing machine broke. (made in 197?something)

Well, the speaker cover on the front door is actually not really a cover at all, it’s actually molded into the door, so unless you cut it out you’re going to end up taping it off. The door handle is really easy also, it’s just got 2 snaps and the torx screw under the handle lever thingy. I’m assuming you meant door handle when you typed “arm pad” because the arm pad is completely molded with the whole door panel. The map pocket is also part of the door, here’s a hint…take the whole door panel off, it’s really easy and tape it all up and do it like that. That way you can still drive your car while waiting for the paint to dry. :wink:

yea, thanks, wasnt shure. I didnt really look at the panels that much when I had them off to tint my windows and put in diff speakers. Just didnt really feel like taking off the panels just to find out. Now, how do you reupholster the little part of fabric on the door panel?

yea, thanks, wasnt shure. I didnt really look at the panels that much when I had them off to tint my windows and put in diff speakers. Just didnt really feel like taking off the panels just to find out. Now, how do you reupholster the little part of fabric on the door panel?

That I couldn’t tell you buddy, I haven’t looked at that at all. I’ve thoguht about it though

I have heard a bunch of ways to this, but havent tried this myself yet…

You can take a small flat blade screwdriver and push in your new fabric around the old fabric.

or

I think you can try and take out the bracket/clips that holds it in there… not sure how though.

-Mark

I put some velvet over the fabric using a butterknife to stuff it around the edges.

• Darron

Does it matter what pattern is on the handle of the butter knife? Personally I think one with a floral design would work best. :shock:

I pulled the panels of yesterday. The cloth is wraped around a piece of molded plastic that fits into the door panel. It is held in by 6 metal loops. It only took me about an hour to take out the panels, recover them, and put them back into the car. To undo the top middle loop, you have to cut the gray foam on the back of the panel.

Yeah but did you use a butter knife? :?:

Cool. I didn’t ever look at that area of the panel from behind. I think if I get enough extra time someday I’ll re-do mine…

• Darron

im having new material stitched around the old and it should pop back in

NO!!! I DIDNT USE A BUTTER KNIFE. lmao. I just used some needle nose plyers to undo the metal loops and a flat head screwdriver to pop out the insert. Be patient w/ removing the cloth panel, I found out the hard way about the loops being back there (broke cloth panel plastic backing once)