Brake Fluid Leak

I just finished a rear disc brake swap from a Mercury Tracer, and everything went back together fairly smoothly. But the other day I noticed that the master cylinder was very low on brake fluid. So I topped it up thinking that it might be due to the pads being bedded in. But now it keeps getting low every few days or so. Any ideas?

If you’re topping it off daily the fluid is going somewhere. make sure the master cylinder itself is not leaking. Check your lines, your calipers and make sure you do not have any broken seals that could be causing the leak.

Have you noticed any fluids under the car or on anything? Keep in mind there isn’t a ton of fluid in that reservoir so it’s possible it can be leaking somewhere and not making it to the ground just yet, but it’s going somewhere.

Yeah I know there is a leak somewhere, I just can’t find where. I took a look at the rear disc assemblies, but I couldn’t find anything. I’ll have to take a closer look this weekend. Thanks.

Check around the brake booster area to see if its wet or any signs of it. It’s gotta be going some were. Update us on how far you get.

Yeah that was one of the places I checked. It didn’t seem to be wet or anything. I’m thinking it has to be leaking at the disc assemblies because the brakes worked great before. But I’ll keep you all updated on what I find.

Oh and thanks for the invite thru car domain krux 303. I knew of a couple ZX2 forums, but not this one. I had tried to join Team ZX2, but got rejected. So, thanks.

No problem bro. Post your pic’s and have fun on the site. This is a great site with great members. Love to hear about your car. Need anything PM me.

Good luck on finding the leak, let us know, if you need anything we’re happy to help :slight_smile:

Welcome aboard!

Sorry I haven’t been able to get this done sooner! I finally had a chance to investigate the fluid leak, and it ended up being on the driver’s side line. The connection where the metal line connects to the rubber hose had evidence of a fluid leak and it seemed that the connection was not tight enough, so just a quick tightening was all that was needed, hopefully. We’ll see in a few days if the leak persists. Either way I’ll keep you posted on what happens.

Sweet hopefully that was it. You might want to bleed the system to make sure there are no air bubbles and on top of that watch the rubber line too. If it gets to much brake fluid and see’s heat the lines could get blisters and swell. Figure I would give you a FYI.

Yeah I had planned on bleeding the brakes, and getting some stainless steel lines also. Thanks.

hopefully that’s the fix! glad to hear you found the culprit.