Any Oregonians - Please help a fellow rider make this safer.

Hey everyone. I normally would not do anything like this. I’m usually against petitions. But please read, and this only pertains to Oregonians.

As many of you know, I love to ride motorcycles. Its agreat joy to me and it means a lot to me. There is nothing I enjoy more than the open road, me and my bike.

As all of you know, it is very dangerous.

Anyhow… I am a member of sporbikes.ws in the oregon section. Recently, one of our rider’s had a father that has passed away due to a collision accident at a nasty intersection. At no fault of the rider a vehicle had turned in front of him and he was killed. The rider is a great guy, and hearing of his father passing on was a sad thing to hear. It hurts me when I hear about another rider dying. There has been a lot of fatalities this riding season already.

This rider and his family started a petition to change this intersection where this happens as it is apparently a very dangerous intersection. If I could make any place safer for motorcyclists and myself and anyone else that drives, it would be intersections. 50% or more of all motorcycle crashes OCCUR AT INTERSECTIONS. Its a wild statistic, but it should be no surprise because most people are in a hurry at intersections, running stop signs, running lights, turning in front of people and it can be very crazy.

So, from the bottom of my heart, I’m asking any Oregonian who cares not only about your own safety, but reaching out from the perspective of a rider and realizing how dangerous it is, to please sign this petition in hopes of changing this place. I know it would mean a lot to the rider and his family who has lost their dad due to this accident. And it would mean a lot to me as well as the riding family is now one rider short due to this tragic accident.

http://www.petitiononline.com/HTRD1967/petition.html

Thank you.

I’m interested in how that intersection is setup. Could you draw a picture for us? I read the depiction twice and didn’t understand the layout. Just wondering why it is so dangerous.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2112/intersection2ek.jpg

It is always a tragedy to hear of one of our own passing :cry:. Unfortunately, in the words of a man I meet just last night, The sooner we realize every idiot in a car is out to get us bikers the better off we are.

Intersections are bad places for bikes. Derek, If I lived in oregon you know my name would be on that petition! I hope that you can get all the signatures you need in-order to get this intersection corrected.