Aftermarket Changer/Stock Head Unit (the opposite of another topic!)

Hey there, I’m new, but then I haven’t even got the ZX2 I want yet, so I’m new to this whole shebang I guess. I want to get an MP3-capable CD changer and run it through the stock head unit. I hate the way aftermarket units look, basically, although my current (and quite dead) car has one that I’ve made peace with. All of my music is on MP3 CD, and the car I’m getting does have premium audio so there’s a changer in there already. I was hoping it was possible to keep the stock unit’s controls for the new changer, just because that’d look the best.

I suppose lots of people here have replaced the old unit, but I’m hoping someone has tried to do what I’m thinking or at least knows if it’ll work.

I’m fairly certain that there is an adapter you can by to fit the connectors together. Check out Crutchfiled] they’ll be more likely to have the RIGHT answer for you. I would personally say, if you already have MP3 discs burnt, instead of buying a capable changer, just buy a capable head unit. With MP3 Discs you basically have a changer there. (10-20 albums). Although if you already have a capable changer, I can see the justification.

My suggestion though would be to just replace the head unit. The cost would probably end up being about the same anyway.

• Darron

The problem with replacing the head unit is my intense dislike of aftermarket head units, with their fiddly controls, overly distracting displays, and complete inability to look like they belong in the car. That’s just me, I guess, but I definately don’t want one.

Thanks for the Crutchfield suggestion though, I’ll check them out.

http://www.fuelempire.com/media/531_556_5723_sub.jpg

http://www.fuelempire.com/media/531_556_5724_sub.jpg

They’re not the best pics, but Sony had the best looking in my opinion. When powered off it looks like it’s the stock display. If you want, I can take some better pics of it today or tomorrow. But I think it looks pretty slick in there. It flips open to have controls available there, or there’s a remote with all the controls (minus display change) that I think is the perfect size (think Razr phone) and very easy to learn/use. It’s an option, and what I think looks good you may not think looks very good. It’s also a decently priced unit. Just over $200 when I bought it a year or two ago. Let me know if you want me to grab some better pics of it.

• Darron

I like how the defrost is closer. I never understood why Ford placed it on the otherside to begin with.

Hate to say it, but while that one is certainly a lot nicer than other aftermarket decks, I really don’t think I’d like it in my car. I dunno, they always seem to be out of place for me, so I’ve never been able to embrace an aftermarket deck (especially in this car, with the whole round thing going on with the center stack). I’d still like to go the changer route.

DId you try Crutchfield yet? You might want to decide on a changer before you do so you can say, “I have this car and I want this changer, give me an adapter.” That would be your cheapest route I bet. Easiest too.

• Darron

I aggre with Mirror’s comment. Having it closer feels better. Does anyone know of 3rd party knobs for the AC controls? Those I would like to change.

None that I’m aware of thred-jacker. :wink:

• Darron

Thred PIRATE thank you.

i gtot a zx2 that you can buy!