3rd gear crunch. Driving me nuts!

Ok so today I purchased my 2001 zx2. I paid to much but I wanted a nicer new car and it was one of the best in my price range.

Its heater core is disconnected and the front brakes are warped to the point stopping is almost as bad as hitting the car in front of you.

Anyway. The biggest problem I have is the fact that the transmission crunches into 3rd.

It only does it when I am accelerating and immediately shift. Clutch is all the way to the floor and go from second to third and I get a small 2 second crunch.

Now if I push the clutch in and hold the clutch down for 3-4 seconds and slowly push the stick up into third it usually makes no grind and goes in without issue.

I guess my question is… anyone else have this problem with their transmission.

I did just change it from ATF to Pennzoil Synchromesh and it made no difference.

Because the previous driver or drivers were complete douche/s and trashed the third gear blocker ring, and probably the synchro and shift fork as well, by living out their little Fast and Furious fantasies…that’s why. Sorry, had to call it like I see it. Your transmission can be repaired, but only by somebody familiar with manual transaxle diagnosis and repair. Depending on the level of damage, it sometimes ends up cheaper to shop for a good low mileage used transmission from a reputable recycler (junk yard). I am currently diving into a transaxle for one of the shop’s project cars, but even I need the trans shop across town to do the specialized press work for the shaft assemblies.