New Intercooler

im going MUCH larger on the intercooler and turbo and building a new kit. i know the trany cant take it but im gona tune it for 320whp or so while the RWD plate is being made.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j6/kickerzx2/Turbo%20car/intercoolerfront-1.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j6/kickerzx2/Turbo%20car/Intercoolerback.jpg

So does an intercooler take the place of an intake?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t that intercooler too big? I understand that an intercooler can’t be too big, but isn’t it too big for the engine? I would stand to reason that having a larger intercooler would increase the volume and increase the time it would take to fill that volume. In essance this could produce more turbo lag. Right?

In most cases that is very true but im puting a duel ball bearing gt35r turbo on the car. it will hit 7psi at 2k rpm. and make 700 or so hp at max flow. so in this case thats not a problem.

as for darth’s q. it is one of the parts that takes place of the stock intake. the intercooler is on the pressure side of the turbo. on a stock app with a turbo it goes air filter> maf> turbo>intercooler> intake manifold> motor.

700hp at max flow, but is the HP look like at the predicted flow? A ball bearing turbo; you must have some extra cash laying around. How much did that set you back?

Also if you make 700hp or even 400hp, I would love to see the results from a dyno. That would give you ultimate bragging rights.

Not to mention something to give that Ford GT Twin Turbo a run for its money. I get you, so an intercooler isn’t really nessary unless I have a turbo or something else that racks up the heat with the system eh?

I get you, so an intercooler isn't really nessary unless I have a turbo or something else that racks up the heat with the system eh?

You could also use an intercooler if you live in a very hot area, 90’s and up. But the amount of heat that would be dissipated would be small, maybe 5-10 degrees. On a turbo or Supercharged car an intercooler can drop the air temp by 80 degrees, but the air started out much hotter of course. This would show on a dyno because most dynos are sheltered. I’m mainly talking about out in the sun and in the desert like conditions.

A better mod for us would be a more efficient radiator and fan.

im gettin the turbo, intercooler, and 44mm tail wast gate for 1400. keep in mind iv already put down just under 380 whp on my old setup. i only want 320 out of this one so the tranny will live for alittle while. when i go rwd im gona pump it up to around 550 whp.

Good luck on the conversion. Please keep us posted on your progress or any problems you run into.

for sure :smiley: the car will be fast and im gona go TT rwd focus head hunting when its done.

A better mod for us would be a more efficient radiator and fan.

Or an oil cooler. Remember your engine has two cooling systems. Oil and water. Add an oil cooler makes your oil system more effective.

are you going with a miata donor for the conversion to rwd?

Or an oil cooler. Remember your engine has two cooling systems. Oil and water. Add an oil cooler makes your oil system more effective.

Someone who knows more about this, please correct me if I am wrong.

You need to be careful adding an Oil cooler. Reason being is that Oil changes its lubrication properties depending on the temperature. If you put TOO big of a cooler, you will not be getting the efficency out of the oil that you are looking for. Too small and your just adding piping for the oil to travel which means you need more oil in the system and it takes longer to get back to the places it needs to be.

However if you Oil gets TOO hot it will break down and you will have a brand new set of problems.

that’s my understanding

To make sure an oil cooler is going to be as effective as its going to be without overcooling the oil, you should install some sort of thermostat to ensure it is at the optimal heat range. I believe oil functions best at around 160-180 degrees.

i think it’s more like 180-210 but it also depends on the oil

Also another consideration is that adding an oil cooler and its requisite piping means that you need to add more oil in order for it to function properly. Otherwise you will not get the effect desired and actually heat the oil up beyond its operating tempeture.

Hey Kicker ,

I’ve seen the videos, seen your setups, your doing a hell of a job !!! Is that a stock tranny your using ?