Dumb question

Alright, never had to pull one and I am not sure how the wiring on our cars is set up for A/C.

So here’s the big question.

If I remove A/C will I still have heat for wintertime?

this winter it’s project time on the Z and I want to yank that bitch out from under the hood.

To my understanding, the heating system is just a vacuum tube that pipes in heat from the engine, hence why the heater will not work unless the engine is warm. I say this because I got a good look at things as my dad and I were swapping out my manifold.

Yes, as long as you just remove the AC lines and stuff under the hood… you will be OK.

now it’s late (for me, just got off work) but I’m thinking that the defrost function of the vehicle runs off of the air conditioner also. Yeah, you would still have heat, but your defrost would not work as well as it would having the air conditioner. I believe that the AC dries the air traveling to the defroster vent and clears off the fog quicker… just a thought

now it's late (for me, just got off work) but I'm thinking that the defrost function of the vehicle runs off of the air conditioner also. Yeah, you would still have heat, but your defrost would not work as well as it would having the air conditioner. I believe that the AC dries the air traveling to the defroster vent and clears off the fog quicker....... just a thought

Air Conditioning does not dry the air. It actually adds moisture, which is why A/C keeps you cool in the summer.

ZZZX2 is correct in the fact that your defrost does use a A/C to help it do it’s job. However, it’s a small part of it. It will do the job fine with out it. Just might take a couple of minutes.

I removed my A/C when I built my new engine. Wanted to free up more horses. I do notice that the defrost isn’t as effective as it was, especially in the rain, or in the cold (-15 C) when the car’s been in the garage all night. The heater system works fine without the A/C plumbing and compressor, just not as quick to give warm air. That’s my experience, anyway.

There is no substitute for experience… in this pauly, your word is law.

Air Conditioning does not dry the air. It actually adds moisture, which is why A/C keeps you cool in the summer.

Sorry, Mark. Other way around.
I checked, then double checked.

Early automotive air conditioning systems were independent of the heater system: ducting, controls and fans were completely separate. Later on, manufacturers integrated the two systems. Air entering an integrated system is filtered, optionally cooled and then reheated before it enters the passenger compartment. This arrangement allows car owners to take advantage of the dehumidifying effect of the evaporator coil to provide a highly effective demist capability.

Ultimately, the answer to the “dumb question” is:
You will still have heat for the winter time.

I apologize! I should have known better since I have worked with home a/c and my grandfather has his own HVAC/Refrigeration business. You are right, I was wrong and should have realized it when I typed it.

A/C does remove moisture from the air. proof would be in the answer “home a/cs have a drain pipes from the evaporator to the exterior of the home.”

I honestly dont know what I was thinking about.

no harm no foul :smiley:

LOL @ Mark! You nerd! Let’s add more humidity to cool us off from feeling all sticky! lol You just made my day. :lol:

• Darron

It’s ok Mark, everyone has a Brain Fart here and there.

great! now i guess i need beano for my brain…

Jumper cables work wonders. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, it’s no longer legal to execute the retarded…

…Thank god for that!

Alright so long story short from what I gather here is:

“Yes, but not as well. It will take longer.”

And that’s fine with me.

Therefore, A/C, time to go.

sweet, I am so glad we could all help in such a round about way. :smiley: