Bad mileage

from the website

ford super edis coil pack for 1989-99
ACCEL offers the only true high-perf. Ford 4-tower style EDIS coil. Advanced bobbin technology, specialized magnetic steel core and optimum windings result in higher energy & voltage outputs plus arc duration. Direct bolt/plug in install. Output is 42,000 volts at 0.5ohms.
Model Number: 140018

[url=http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductDetails.aspx?brandId=3&productID=4909115&majID=525&minID=5283&selection=0&minselection=11]http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductDetails.a ... lection=11[/url]

Thanks Dean. Thats what I needed. The guy at the whare house told my parts lady that MSD didn’t make a MSD or Accel coil pack for the ZX2, she thought she did and was stumped when he told her this. Thanks for helping her prove a point!

I dont think I saw the mention of replacing the old fuel filter with new clean one. I did mine the other day and its has been alot easyer on the pocket book.

Brenden parts are out there for 98+ zx2’s however, they may be listed as 98 parts due to the parts not changing. so… if you goto an auto parts store and ask for a part and they tell you they dont make it anymore… ask for the pre-99 part.

Our coil pack is the same one Ford doubled up to use on the 4.6 Mustangs, F-150’s, etc…

Need I say more? Just look for a performance coil pack for a 4.6 GT, and there you go.

I just did a tune up on my ZX-2 about a week ago. I did the plugs, wires, oil and filter (Syn oil), fuel filter, and a Fuel Inj Cleaner. Before that I was not getting that good of mileage. But now its alot better. The only thing I did not see anyone suggest to replace is the Fuel filter. I think that was the big ticket to mileage. I about ten bucks and takes like 10 min to change. Try that I bet that will make a big difference. My car has just under 50,000 miles on it, and I have a city and highway commute to work, at about 20 miles one way. Good Hunting…

KnightStalker

yeah thats my next thing to change. Fuel Filter.

I should change mine…Miranda’s too while I’m at it… But my concern is…how it’s done…

• Darron

Its easy! The fuel filter is on the drivers side on the fire wall. Pull the intake tube out or take the clamps off and push to the side. Look down at your old fuel filter you will find a heat cover, remove it (2 bolts). When you pull the filter out of the new box, you will find 2 plastic clips. These clips are on both ends of the fuel filter remove the top one. Then take the clamp off that holds the fuel filter to the fire wall and pull the filter up a little bit. Lastly remove the last plastic clip, and pull out the old filter. Place the new filter inside the clamp, put lower fuel line on the filter and put on the new plastic clip the same way it was removed. Tighten the clamp around the filter and put the top fuel line on the filter, put on the top plastic clamp the same way it was removed. Reinstall heat cover and intake tube. Start you car, the car will take an extra sec to start as the new fuel filter needs to be filled back up with fuel. Your done!
A good tip. Don’t do what I did, wait a few extra mins for the car/engine to cool down so you don’t burn your self.
Good Hunting!!!

Thanks for the tutorial!

You don’t need to do anything to keep the fuel from just…spilling all over?

• Darron

No problem, thats what the forum is for…

Some folks have reported better fuel millage after replacing the gas cap with a new one.

Thats always a good thing. Better gas mileage is good as long as you dont have to pay for it with lost power…

hrm… very interesting info.

as of late, my car has been bad on gas… its gotten as bad as 19MPG average per tank in the city… my last tank i did 21.

so far only things i’ve done since was new wires and plugs… i’m probably due for a new gas and air filter. they havent been changed since i got the car in april :mrgreen:

a fuel filter shouldnt help since a restricted fuel filter means less fuel, sounds like something with your timing or VCT has flipped out…

not necesarily.

i’ve studied this for some time and well it turns out that the injectors will open up more frequntly if theres a lower poressure or volume. computer reads 02 reands and compensates according to what condition the exhaist is… rich or lean.

yes it will run a hair leaner which means less gas, but the big probme comes when you mash the gas… mid and upper RPMs is whrere a bad filter cam make a big difference. in a lean condition, it will take the engine longer to achieve a higher RPM, especially under load due to the lack of fuel. the longer the time, the more frequently the injectors will open.

You know most of my mileage problems have been attributed to a couple of things

1. clogged intake (filter, dirty MAF, obstruction in path, etc…)
  2. Needs oil changed or different oil brand or weight. (I use 0w20 Mobil 1 exclusively)
  3. Your carrying stuff you shouldn’t ( Like 100+ lbs in tools and other junk)
  4. Restriction in exhaust ( Caused by running over very hard stuff that kink the exhaust)
  5. Low tire pressure.
  6. Your transmission lube is whack. ( you need to change it every 15k-20k miles)
  7. lubricate all your mechanical parts.
  8. bad gas. (check to see if the pumps have seal of approval from your local sealer of weights and measures. A buddy of mine works for Imperial County department and gives me the down low. Shell, Texaco, Chevron, Mobil 1, Unocal, and the other top tier are very good bets.)
  9. Don’t rev on everyone at the stoplight or take off hard from one. (Hard to do but not impossible)
  10. Coast to the stop whenever possible.
  11. Dirty, fouled parts (O2 sensor, spark plugs, spark wires, etc.)
  12. Failing fuel pump.
    Thats all i could think of for now but I’ll post more if I remember more tips and suggestions.

very good suggestions and a good list, thanks for posting that, i’m sure someone can make use of that.