2002 ZX2 popping out of gear

Hi All,

I’ve got a 2002 ZX2 i race with a group of friends in the 24 hours of lemons races mostly in denver. The car is actually pretty quick around the track! It’s completely gutted and caged but anyway…

During our last race near the end the transmission started popping out of gear randomly, some googling suggests we check the shift linkage, i’m wondering if there’s anything else to think about? We recently flushed the transmission fluid, i was also wondering if putting in any friction modifier is at all common on these?

thanks
bret

There are plastic shifter bushing at both ends of the shift rod, but you would feel that slip in the shifter. If that’s it change to soft metal bushings.
Unfortunately the tranny may be heading south. If that’s the case you can go with a sturdier Ford Escape tranny and shaft.

1 Like

Thanks for the response - yup my new bushings will be here on friday, the ones closer to the trans looked pretty beat up but the ones at the base of the shifter were obviously replaced with aftermarket at sometime and seemed in okay shape. i think you’re right though, the transmission is probably ready to leave this world. Hopefully it will hold for one more race.

Is there documentation on which model model escape trans would work (and what needs to be modified)? had no the escape came in manual transmissions in the first place…

thanks
bret